- Autism. Lancet. 2014; 383: 896-910
- Prevalence of autism spectrum disorder among children aged 8 years—Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, 11 sites, United States, 2010.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2014; 63: 1-21
- Changes in prevalence of autism spectrum disorders in 2001-2011: findings from the Stockholm Youth Cohort.J Autism Dev Disord. 2015; 45: 1766-1773
- The influence of media suggestions about links between criminality and autism spectrum disorder.Autism. 2017; 21: 117-121
- Risk and dynamics of violence in Asperger's syndrome: a systematic review of the literature.Aggression Violent Behav. 2009; 14: 306-312
- A systematic review of people with autism spectrum disorder and the criminal justice system.J Autism Dev Disord. 2014; 44: 2717-2733
- Risk factors for violent offending in autism spectrum disorder: a national study of hospitalized individuals.J Interpers Violence. 2009; 24: 1358-1370
- Violent crime in Asperger syndrome: the role of psychiatric comorbidity.J Autism Dev Disord. 2008; 38: 1848-1852
- Pervasive developmental disorders and criminal behaviour: a case control study.Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol. 2008; 52: 196-205
- Asperger's syndrome: a clinical account.Psychol Med. 1981; 11: 115-129
- An assessment of violence in a young man with Asperger's syndrome.J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1988; 29: 351-360
- Prevalence of Asperger's syndrome in a secure hospital.Br J Psychiatry. 1994; 165: 679-682
- Childhood neurodevelopmental disorders and violent criminality: a sibling control study.J Autism Dev Disord. 2014; 44: 2707-2716
- The risk factors for criminal behaviour in high functioning autism spectrum disorders (HFASDs): a comparison of childhood adversities between individuals with HFASDs who exhibit criminal behaviour and those with HFASD and no criminal histories.Res Autism Spectr Disord. 2012; 6: 949-957
- Autism spectrum disorders in the Stockholm Youth Cohort: design, prevalence and validity.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e41280
- Migration and autism spectrum disorder: population-based study.Br J Psychiatry. 2012; 201: 109-115
- Parental depression, maternal antidepressant use during pregnancy, and risk of autism spectrum disorders: population based case-control study.BMJ. 2013; 346: f2059
- Parental socioeconomic status and risk of offspring autism spectrum disorders in a Swedish population-based study.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2012; 51: 467-476
- Young cases of schizophrenia identified in a national inpatient register—are the diagnoses valid?.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2002; 37: 527-531
- External review and validation of the Swedish National Inpatient Register.BMC Public Health. 2011; 11: 450
- Associations of parental depression with child school performance at age 16 years in Sweden.JAMA Psychiatry. 2016; 73: 239-246
- A modified Poisson regression approach to prospective studies with binary data.Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 159: 702-706
- Risks for nonaffective psychotic disorder and bipolar disorder in young people with autism spectrum disorder: a population-based study.JAMA Psychiatry. 2015; 72: 483-489
- Overadjustment bias and unnecessary adjustment in epidemiologic studies.Epidemiology. 2009; 20: 488-495
- Adolescence-limited and life-course-persistent antisocial behavior: a developmental taxonomy.Psychol Rev. 1993; 100: 674-701
- A 30-year prospective follow-up study of hyperactive boys with conduct problems: adult criminality.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007; 46: 601-610
- Offending by adults with learning disabilities: identifying need in one health district.Ment Handicap Res. 1995; 8: 99-109
- Police involvement with clients having intellectual disabilities: a pilot study in South London.Ment Handicap Res. 1995; 8: 129-136
- Brief report: Suggestibility, compliance and psychological traits in autism spectrum disorder.Res Autism Spectr Disord. 2012; 6: 1168-1175
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and unlawful behaviour: where do we go from here?.J Autism Dev Disord. 2014; 44: 2734-2741
- Childhood symptoms of ADHD overrule comorbidity in relation to psychosocial outcome at age 15: a longitudinal study.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0137475
- Medication for attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder and criminality.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 2006-2014
- Risk factors and behaviors associated with adolescent violence and aggression.Am J Health Behav. 2002; 26: 454-464
This article is discussed in an editorial by Dr. Alexander Westphal on page 462.
Clinical guidance is available at the end of this article.
This work was not supported by any specific grant. The record linkages were supported by a grant by the Swedish Research Council (DNR 523-2010-1052). No funder had any role in the study design, data collection, and interpretation of results or reporting of this study.
Mr. Lundberg served as the statistical expert for this research.
Disclosure: Drs. Heeramun, Magnusson, Gumpert, Granath, Dalman, Rai and Mr. Lundberg report no biomedical financial interests or potential conflicts of interest.