- Time trends in the incidence of eating disorders: a primary care study in the Netherlands.Int J Eat Disord. 2006; 39: 565-569
- Point prevalence of bulimia nervosa in 1982, 1992, and 2002.Psychol Med. 2006; 36: 119-127
- Prevalence of eating disorders and weight control practices in Germany in 1990 and 1997.Int J Eat Disord. 2001; 29: 477-481
- Review of the prevalence and incidence of eating disorders.Int J Eat Disord. 2003; 34: 383-396
- The prevalence and correlates of eating disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication.Biol Psychiatry. 2007; 61: 348-358
- A systematic review of evidence for psychological treatments in eating disorders: 2005-2012.Int J Eat Disord. 2013; 46: 462-469
- Psychological treatments for bulimia nervosa and binging.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009; 4: CD000562
- A randomized trial comparing the efficacy of cognitive-behavioral therapy for bulimia nervosa delivered via telemedicine versus face-to-face.Behav Res Ther. 2008; 46: 581-592
- A multicenter comparison of cognitive-behavioral therapy and interpersonal psychotherapy for bulimia nervosa.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2000; 57: 459-466
- Efficacy of family-based treatment for adolescents with eating disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Eat Disord. 2013; 46: 3-11
- Randomized clinical trial of family-based treatment and cognitive-behavioral therapy for adolescent bulimia nervosa.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2015; 54: 886-894
- A randomized controlled trial of family therapy and cognitive behavior therapy guided self-care for adolescents with bulimia nervosa and related disorders.Am J Psychiatry. 2007; 164: 591-598
The Federal Association of Health Insurance Doctors [Kassenärztliche Bundesvereinigung (KBV)]. Annual Report 2013. Available at: http://www.kbv.de/media/sp/KBV_GB_2012_13_Web.pdf. Accessed 17 June 2016.
- Comparison of cognitive-behavioral and supportive-expressive therapy for bulimia nervosa.Am J Psychiatry. 1993; 150: 37-46
- Empirical comparison of two psychological therapies. Self psychology and cognitive orientation in the treatment of anorexia and bulimia.J Psychother Practice Res. 1999; 8: 115-128
- A randomized controlled trial of psychoanalytic psychotherapy or cognitive-behavioral therapy for bulimia nervosa.Am J Psychiatry. 2014; 171: 109-116
- A comprehensive review of psychodynamic treatments for eating disorders.Eat Weight Disord. 2016; 21: 553-580
- Eating disorders in adolescents: review of treatment studies that include psychodynamically informed therapy.Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2013; 22: 97-117
Bundesausschuss G. Guideline for psychotherapy of the Public Joint Federal Committee of Physicians and health insurance. Available at: https://www.g-ba.de/downloads/17-98-4247/PT-RL_2015-10-15_iK-2016-01-06_WZ.pdf. Accessed 22 May 2016.
- A randomized controlled comparison of family-based treatment and supportive psychotherapy for adolescent bulimia nervosa.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2007; 64: 1049-1056
- Do adolescents with eating disorder not otherwise specified or full-syndrome bulimia nervosa differ in clinical severity, comorbidity, risk factors, treatment outcome or cost?.Int J Eat Disord. 2008; 41: 498-504
- Cognitive behavior therapy for bulimia nervosa in adolescents - a manual (trans. from German).Universität Heidelberg, Heidelberg2007
- Ambulante Verhaltenstherapie bei Essstörungen.in: Reich G. Cierpka M. Psychotherapie der Essstörungen. Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart2010: 129-147
- Cognitiv behavior therapy and eating disorders.Guilford Press, New York2008
- Psychodynamic focal therapy of bulimia nervosa for female adolescents and young adults.Praxis Kinderpsychologie Kinderpsychiatrie. 2014; 63: 2-20
- Identity conflicts in bulimia nervosa: psychodynamic patterns and psychoanalytic treatment.Psychoanal Inq. 1998; 18: 383-402
- Eating Disorder Examination: A German Version of the Structured Eating Disorder Interviews.Diagnostica. 2004; 50: 98-106
- Structured Clinical Interview for DSM IV Axis I: Major Mental Disorders (German version).Hogrefe, Göttingen1997
- Structured Clinical Interview for DSM IV Axis II: Personality Disorders (German version).Hogrefe, Göttingen1997
- Eating Disorder Examination-Questionnaire—Deutsche Version.Verlag für Psychotherapie, Münster2006
- Symptom Checklist of L.R. Derogatis (German version).Beltz Test GmbH, Göttingen2002
- Psychotherapy for bulimia nervosa and binging.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004; 3: CD000562
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.Academic Press, New York1988
- SAS System for Windows, Version 9.3.SAS Institute, Cary, NC2002-2010
- The natural course of eating pathology in female university students.Eating Behav. 2012; 13: 297-304
- Cognitive behaviour therapy for eating disorders: a “transdiagnostic” theory and treatment.Behav Res Ther. 2003; 41: 509-528
- Body image concerns, muscle-enhancing behaviors, and eating disorders in males.JAMA. 2014; 312: 2156-2157
The study was funded by the Vereinigung Analytischer Kinder- und Jugendlichen-Psychotherapeuten in Deutschland e.V. (VAKJP/Association of psychoanalytic child- and adolescent-psychotherapists in Germany) and Lou Andreas-Salomè-Institut für Psychoanalyse und Psychotherapie, Goettingen.
Drs. Stefini and Salzer contributed equally and share first authorship.
The authors thank all the young women and therapists for their participation in the study.
Disclosure: Drs. Stefini, Salzer, Reich, Winkelmann, Bents, Ruhl, Kronmüller and Mss. Horn, Rutz, Frost, v. Boetticher, Specht report no biomedical financial interests or potential conflicts of interest.